Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Return to sender

Spent the weekend in Fayetteville, North Carolina working on draft 2 of the Black Powder | Red Earth screenplay. I've been to Fayetteville 3 times now. To say that it is an alien place to me is an understatement. I've been to places where there are no roads and no one speaks English that are less foreign to me, which is a bit ironic considering how much I am interested in some of the units based there.

People range from good to surreal. But I imagine I come off just the same ^_^;

I picked up a MAV and some new speed load mag pouches from Eagle. If I ever have 5 minutes again maybe I will check them out. I was hoping to do a pistol course this year, but my schedule is so maxed out, I am pretty much limiting myself to things that are directly related to projects I am actively working on right now, aka I re-read "Broken Angels" by Richard K Morgan on the flight because it is the most bad ass scifi/mercenary story ever written. Takeshi Kovacs is probably my favorite character in modern science fiction followed closely(and maybe surpassed by) Neal Asher's Ian Cormac. Both are ruthles killers. One works for himself and the other for AI masters. Both kill people a plenty :)

I received a copy of the Akira 2019 Mechanix book from my amigo, Takafumi Matsubara today. I can't wait to soak it up. I've been on a bit of an Akira resurgance in case you hadn't noticed. I also managed to track down a few of the trades that Dark Horse released. I actually had purchased them all but 3 copies got lunched en route to my door step(or rather weren't adequately described by the sellers...sigh...mail order) :\

Cat Shit One
One of my older favorite manga is a book called Cat Shit One. I just discovered that the creator,
Motofumi Kobayashi,
has been at it again and released Cat Shit One '08. I also discovered that a mini-series is being produced roughly based on this work and will hit in winter 09.

More to come.

2 comments:

  1. Have you read Morgan's Thirteen yet? It's pretty bad-ass too.

    I'm female and in my 60s, but Broken Angels is one of my favorite books, er, probably for about the same reasons you state.

    I like Kovacs better than Cormac: Cormac is too robotic and Kovacs is all too human, with plenty of rage and emotion.

    I grew up in the South myself and you are so right, it's absolutely an alien place. Not too many people get that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Black Man/Thirteen the day it hit the shelves. There was a lot of cool stuff in there..but ever since Market Forces, I've started to feel like his books are getting a bit long. The Steel Remains was more compact and I enjoyed it to some extent, though I am way more of a scifi guy than fantasy ^_^;

    I find Cormac interesting because he is so robotic and ruthless ^o^

    ReplyDelete