Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Why do IP based comics consistently suck?

Maybe I'm just stupid for keeping the faith but seriously...Today I picked up the latest issue of the Halo ODST comic(issue 2 of 5 - I gave it 2 issues to go somewhere) and I am speechless. It was so bad, it actually diminished my interest in the game. And that's saying something considering I got my latest 360 pretty much to play ODST.

The dialog is generic and seems to be there to explain what is happening in the terrible panel art rather than building mood or character. The panel art doesn't tell a story...it's just a series of drawings with no sense of drama, character or flow. If you took away the crap words, I would probably have no idea what is happening at all. Compare this book to the work of Otomo, Shirow, Kirby, Sakai, Jock or Risso and just try tell me there's not a substantial quality gap.

But this crime is by no means limited to this book. Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, Gears of War, Mercenaries 2, Army of Two, you name it, they've blown it. Is it just that today's comic writers and artists are lazy or that fans simply will buy anything?

The stories are cookie cutter from the games and the panel work is at best pretty and at worst a fucking train wreck...I mean wtf...are there only like 5 guys in the world who can do good panel work anymore?!! It's like the creators are just trying to get through the source material rather than using it as a spring board to do something creative?!

Maybe it's that I am jealous of squandered opportunities...or maybe I'm just surprised...or more accurately, horrified. The Halo 3 "Believe" marketing campaign was the most amazing campaign I ever saw...it drive me to go out and buy a 360 and Halo 3 on day of release. However, the comics (even the Bendis one) have done nothing but disappoint. And this ODST thing has gone so far as to actually make me feel less interested in the game.

Good job Marvel. I hope Mickey Mouse cuts off your head, shits down your throat and throws the body to the carrion crows.

Back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment