Friday, March 18, 2011

Was I expecting too much?

I just watched a game demo of Deus Ex Human Revolution on Gamespot and apparently they've spent the past 3 years remaking the gameplay from the first Metal Gear Solid game at higher resolution. Yes, it's first person versus third, but MGS Integral and MGS4 played almost the exact same way from what I could see.

I'm sure there will be "trans-human" perks and buffs that are not in MGS but, honestly, those are just more weapons/items. Will they effect how I can interact with that world? Sure, but it's just another gun at the end of the day. Maybe the story will carry it. A good cyberpunk thriller isn't exactly common so they may hit that on the head.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it was more than this. It might be a totally amazing game but after all the hype, teasers and interviews, I really was thinking this would be more than MGS 1.5. OK, back to the pixel mines.

2 comments:

  1. It's hard to build your hopes up for games nowadays, so often their just copying something that's succeeded before. I had such high hopes for SC2, and while I love the multiplayer, the single player was horrid. I also had huge expectations for MGS4 (my favorite franchise) and was sorely disappointed with the awful story, characters, and that it turned out to be an interactive movie.

    I've been playing dead space 2 and I'm loving it, every issue from the first one has been addressed. While the story isn't much, we forgive it because it delivers cheap thrills and scares, awesome atmosphere and fun gameplay. Back to the roots of Resident Evil 1 with conserving ammo and being scared shitless as everything seems to kick your ass.

    There's an amazing amount of effort put into all the ways your character can die; I appreciate this immensely.


    Hope to see some output from you, graphic novel wise or novel wise. Keep us posted!

    p.s. waiting for Orphan in the mail, very excited for this one; record of the year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed MGS4 for what it was. Certainly, the gameplay and settings were enjoyable, but the entire MGS universe is a naive one. Ridiculous bosses with impossible back stories...Then again, I don't think it was intended to be taken too seriously? Was it?

    Sort of like how all of Mikami's games are always campy. I like pulpy stuff, but the camp is why Mikami's games have rarely had staying power with me. Maybe that's my taste...

    Haven't played DS2. I never finished DS1 so I figure, why bother spending $60 on it.

    Orphan has shipped on vinyl. Should be touching down any day I imagine...

    ReplyDelete